Thursday, December 6, 2007

Suicide and Santa

I was looking at apple trailers online and seeing if there were any movies to be excited about. I watched the preview for Wristcutters: A love Story and it looked like something I would love. I soon discovered it was playing at Brewvies and that the matinee was the last showing before the movies changed. SO, since my clients cancelled I decided it was a sign that I should go to the movie. Ryan and Aliah came along. I loved it. It was dark and quirky. It kinda had an Eternal Sunshine sorta feel. I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Here's a little about the movie:
Zia, distraught over breaking up with his girlfriend, decides to end it all. Unfortunately, he discovers there is no real ending, only a run-down afterlife that is strikingly similar to his old one, just a bit worse. Discovering that his ex-girlfriend has also “offed” herself , he sets out on a road trip, with his Russian rocker friend, to find her. Their journey takes them through an absurd purgatory where they discover that being dead doesn’t mean you have to stop livin’.

I know it sounds depressing, but it was really quite endearing.

I love that I could find people to join me in the middle of the afternoon. It pays to have a friend who is a comedian and another in grad school. I had never seen a movie at Brewviews before. It kinda smelled like urine and there was a constant sound of running water in the theater- but you can drink beer, so it was worth it.



Tonight I went to the big brothers big sisters Christmas party with my little. It was fun. We got to visit with Santa (who was kinda a pervert) and interact with other bigs and littles. I think I had my hand on Santa's knee. Doesn't it look that way? No wonder he was a pervert.

Whitney got a monopoly game and we ate the catered Panda Express. I think everyone should be a "big". It's one of the funnest things I have ever done.

6 comments:

Spencer said...

I was a big brother once for about two weeks. I was severly dissapointed that my kid was pretty much a normal kid (not from an abusive home) who was just kind of lonely and nerdy. Once I met his parents (both of them at the same time, since they lived together!) I stopped hanging out with him. He would kept calling and leaving the saddest messages, but it didn't break my heart of ice.

Angie said...

Way to stand your ground. Seriously, underprivileged or nothing!!!!!

Spencer said...

Ya, is it wrong to expect some cigarette burns? You might want to delete this. I'm actually offended by this comment.

Sarita said...

I'm still a little bitter that I didnt get to join in the Wristcutters excursion. Damn work always getting in the way.

Dainon. said...

BUT DID YOU WIN THE CRUISE?!?!

Angie said...

Sadly no. All I got was a pipe cleaner halo and some cold orange chicken- oh and a creepy wink from Santa.