Thursday, January 28, 2010

Oh, Holden

I am really glad that I decided to read The Catcher in the Rye recently. Not only did I love that book, but for some reason hearing that J.D. Salinger died means something different to me than I think it would have.

If you have never read it, please do and if you have, read it again. I think I just might.

“What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff — I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy."

3 comments:

Evan and Holly said...

I'm so glad that you love that book. I hated it and I had such a hard time figuring out why. But you are not in bad company, you know that this book is the favorite among serial killers too.... :)

Angie said...

Ha! I did know it. Well, the truth is if you relate to Holden Caulfield, you probably are a serial killer. It's the writing style. And by the end of the book you realize he has some serious issues. Maybe that's why I loved it. I work every day with people who have serious issues. It's the social worker in me. Social workers and serial killers.

Allison said...

I have always loved this book--read it for the first time back in middle school I believe. Glad you liked it :) I just wish he didn't say GD so much.