Thursday, January 8, 2009

Song of the heart

It's 2:30am and I am wide awake. I know, it's not very shocking, after all I am an insomniac. I thought I was a recovering insomniac, but apparently I was just able to sleep long enough to be fooled into thinking I was in recovery. So, in the spirit of insomnia, I have done everything I normally do when I can't sleep- internet TV, blog stalking, reading, cleaning, blogging and such.

Wanna know what the "and such" is? Ok, I'll tell you. I was trying to write a song. Bleh.

I have books full of half written poems or wanna be lyrics. Truth is, I play the guitar very poorly- so no help there. I have only ever written one song successfully and that was over 11 years ago at Ricks College. It was a mediocre song at best, but it worked. My short lived band The Mothers of Chachee even sang it at Guitars unplugged. It was about a boy (of course), a boy I had never actually met- unrequited love, that's perfect song material! I have a lot of material, I do- heartbreak, deception, even scandal. If I could write a song, it has the potential of being totally awesome. Things have occurred in my life that are definitely song worthy, I just can't seem to get those things out of my mind and into a song. It's so frustrating.

I have friends that write beautiful songs. I listen to music all day every day and can relate to so many things that have been written and sung. Why can't I do that?

New goal for 2009- write a song. I don't care if it sucks (I have to say that, because most likely it will suck).


No comments: