Thursday, September 29, 2011

Wedding Day



My life has been kind of chaotic. But totally in a good way. Buying a house and planning/having a wedding can really be a lot to handle. It was INSANE and I hate to even admit that I am glad that it's over. . . but I am glad that it's over.

But it sure was wonderful. So many amazing people came in for the wedding. Aunts and Uncles, friends I haven't seen in ten years, friends I felt like I hadn't seen in ten years because I had been so busy, family, in-laws, coworkers, neighbors. It was truly amazing.

We made the decision of having the wedding in the backyard. Well, I should say I made the decision and then my amazing husband went a long with it. 5 months ago the yard was a MESS. Seriously. There was a random sidewalk, terrible grass and plants, dead stumps and bricks- EVERYWHERE, So many bricks and rocks, I am not sure how they all got there. Nathaniel is a genius. He had a vision and the yard is now amazing. We have a brick patio and a brick wall and lush green grass and a sprinkler system. I can't believe how handy he is and in turn how lucky I am to be married to him. The yard was finished just in time for the wedding (literally). Nathaniel was still laying brick at 3 in the afternoon and we were married at 6. But it all came together.

Everyone chipped in. All of my friends and both of our families that flew into town just for the wedding as well as those resident friends were mulching and setting up tables and hanging lights and decorating and getting sunburned, all to make my wedding beautiful. And it was.

We also had neighbors and ward members that we've never met show up to help. One woman in my ward named Maria iced all 250 cupcakes. ALL OF THEM and they were beautiful, each cupcake with a different icing design. Another couple in the ward showed up and just went to work. I couldn't believe the outpouring of love I felt.

Bishop Bullough married us. He had been my bishop in the single's ward years ago and was my last bishop in my family ward just recently. He did such a wonderful job of making the ceremony spiritual and intimate and unique.

My sweet father walked me down the isle- so worried he would lose his balance or mess up, but of course he didn't. I loved standing arm in arm with him as the once only man in my life handed me off to the man OF my life.

Nathaniel is such a sweetheart. As we heard the words of the Bishop I looked at how nervous he was (I was also very nervous), but could tell there was no doubt for either one of us that we were doing the right thing. There were some slip ups, the Bishop called Nathaniel Nathan at one point, and I put Nathaniel's ring on his right hand instead of his left- but it all turned out alright because we are married!

The reception was also lovely. Sandwiches and potato salad and beans and limeade and cupcakes and flags and lights and Polaroids and some dancing. Nathaniel really didn't want to dance, but because he loves me, he did, and it meant so much to me (see video in post below). Dancing with my Daddy was really special too, something a girl dreams of all her life.

When we took a bite out of the cupcake together, I accidentally stuck my finger in Nathaniel's mouth and he bit me! (Also in video) Throwing the bouquet was so weird, I can't even count how many times I have been the single girl on the other side. And leaving the house to go to the hotel, knowing the next time we came back would be to OUR house as a married couple was such a wonderful feeling.

By the end of the night I was sunburned, we were exhausted, it took 30 minutes to take my wedding dress off because Nathaniel has no finger nails and we forgot a crochet hook AND we had to be up at 6am to fly to Costa Rica, but we were married. It looked, felt and was exactly the way that I wanted it.

Thanks to all that helped. It was the most wonderful day of my life thus far and I know it will only get better.

1 comment:

sarah said...

It was so beautiful. I can't wait to get really crackin on your photos. It was crazy busy but so much fun. And more than anything, I am so happy for you both. We love you.